Easy Delicata Squash with Orange & Pistachios
Original Recipe from EatingWell.com Total Time: 35 Minutes Serves: 4
Eating seasonal ingredients isn't just friendly on your wallet, is also provides nutrients that tend to be important during that season. For instance, squash is harvested in the fall, and is a great source of vitamins A and C, which both play important roles in fighting off those fall infections and colds. It also contains iron, which helps keep energy high by carrying oxygen throughout the body and combating the incoming winter blues.
Pair this dish with a lean protein and your favorite vegetables, and you'll have a well-balanced, fall-friendly meal.
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, halved and sliced
- 1 large delicata squash, halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 tsp orange zest
- ¾ C orange juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped salted pistachios
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes.
2. Add squash, orange zest and juice, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring once, until the squash is almost tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed and the squash is tender and beginning to brown, 12 to 15 minutes more.
4. Garnish with pistachios.