Avocado Gelato Recipe - Better Brain Health
Dr. Amen’s Top Recipes for Better Brain Health
This new twist on the classic Italian gelato is the perfect brain-boosting dessert. It’s low in sugar and lighter in calories than typical gelato. Plus, avocado is rich in omega-3 fatty acids as well as vitamin B6. Symptoms of a vitamin B6 deficiency may include impaired memory and trouble concentrating. Vitamin B6 is also involved in systems that keep homocysteine in check. Elevated homocysteine levels are associated with a higher risk of cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s disease.
Ingredients: 2 tbsp chocolate protein powder ½ cup unsweetened almond milk 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder ¼ cup avocado (cut in cubes) 1 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes 1 drop stevia, chocolate flavor 1 tsp coconut butter
1. In a blender, mix all the ingredients except coconut flakes. Blend until creamy and smooth. Mixture should be very thick!
2. Smooth entire contents into a cake pan or drop in tablespoon-sized balls (like cookies, but a little thinner) onto a cookie sheet. Note that it is easier to spread the mixture into a cake pan, but it is a little more challenging to cut it after it has been frozen. Dropping onto a cookie sheet can be a little messy, but it is easier to grab and eat after freezing. Try it both ways and see how you like it.
3. Sprinkle coconut over the top.
4. Place cake pan or cookie sheet in the freezer for at least 2 hours until frozen.
5. Serve as a frozen treat. They taste like Fudgesicles!
Nutritional Info: Calories 239; fat 15.1g; sodium 190mg; carbohydrates 19.3g; protein 12.6g; fiber 8.1g